I love to read. I really, REALLY love to read. I belong to four different book clubs, so you know I'm seriously ill or just serious when I say that. However, I tend to read fairly quickly and when I'm done and onto the next book, sometimes I forget. So this is a spot for me to recollect my faves, share the new goodies I've encountered, and, quite frankly, . . . to remind myself what I've read. : ) If you have a fabulous find you've read recently, send me an email and I'll read it next!

Monday, May 10, 2010

The Pact, by Jodi Picoult

Having just finished a Picoult book (see my review below for My Sister's Keeper), I was pretty reluctant to start another one.  However, being spurred on by another book club, I decided to give it a go.  This one is still disturbing me, I won't lie.  I can't get the McDonald's bathroom scene out of my head, and it makes me really question the experience--if she was only nine, and had that relationship with her mother, let alone Chris, why didn't she tell anyone?  I can kind of understand it being scary enough that a scream gets trapped in your throat, but why not tell anyone?  Was it really because she thought she'd get in trouble for accepting a dare?  Or doing something stupid in the first place?  Did she really think she'd be the one in the wrong here?  I have a nine-year old daughter, and it scares me to death to think that she would EVER encounter something like this.  I'm pretty sure she'd come to me, since she tells me every other detail of her life with unequivocal descriptions.  But seriously?  Every single sexual abuse story I've heard has the victim withholding the information because of fear that she'll be the one in the wrong, that she's at fault for "bringing it on" or whatever.  I don't get it.  I'll admit, this book was a page-turner, and when I finally finished it (late at night, of course!) I was still bothered.  I like the epilogues and notes from the author at the end, especially when she has stories of readers who have decided against committing suicide because they read this book--hurray for her!  Hurray for them!  I think she broached this uber-sensitive topic with care, compelling characters as well as a gripping story line, so as far as that goes, well-done, Jodi.  But still . . . disturbing.  Makes me grateful to be as naive as I am. : )

I think I'm going to leave Picoult books for a while--I've had my fair share for a loooooonnnnnnggggg time!

***

No comments:

Post a Comment