I love to read. I really, REALLY love to read. I belong to four different book clubs, so you know I'm seriously ill or just serious when I say that. However, I tend to read fairly quickly and when I'm done and onto the next book, sometimes I forget. So this is a spot for me to recollect my faves, share the new goodies I've encountered, and, quite frankly, . . . to remind myself what I've read. : ) If you have a fabulous find you've read recently, send me an email and I'll read it next!

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Remembering Isaac by Ben Behunin

I read this one a little while ago, finishing it in a few days.  It was a refreshing read, following Jake's journey of self-discovery and learning.  It really made me want to learn how to throw pottery . . . maybe I'll take that night course someday!  We are actually having the author come to our book club to discuss his work, and he's bringing his pottery too!  Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you the info.

I just finished book two of this series, Discovering Isaac, and found it to be quite enjoyable as well.  While it took me a little longer to finish, I did find myself longing to return to Jake and Amy and their adventures in Niederbipp.  Their world is one I'd love to visit--too bad it's fictional!  I really enjoyed and appreciated the quotes, the scriptural references, and the truths Jake and Amy are discovering about themselves and each other.  I love their relationship--it's so grounded, so real.  I really want them to just tie the knot and start having kids so I can follow that story too, but I guess they have the tourism committee to run first . . . hahaha

****

--POSTSCRIPT:  I actually got up the gumption to visit Ben at his studio.  It was so fun to see his workshop, the pieces drying on the shelf, the finished ones for sale, . . . he was actually working on book 3 when I came to his door! : )  He came to our book club, and talk about the "story behind the story"--how he came to write the book, his relationship with the characters, his "discovering" of truths in writing . . . it was so powerful, and brought out many truths and insights that I hadn't noticed on my initial read.  We spent about two hours talking to him--it was fantastic!!!  Afterwards, I feel like I have an "insider's view" into the book, and am that much more anxious to read #3!  I volunteered to be an editor for him, or just a sounding board as book 3 is starting to take shape.  He laughed but I don't think he knows how serious I am . . . ; )  I am now also in the running for the title: "Largest Collection of Ben Behunin Pottery," currently held by world-title winner, Ben Behunin.

; )

No comments:

Post a Comment